Sunday, June 17, 2007

sunday's musings

Take a good look now....


Blink and you'll miss them....


All of these lovely irises are now gone.


I can't believe the kind of year we're having. It was a slow start.... cold, cold, late frosts.... and then BOOM! too much heat and everything's melting away in seconds.

I'm convinced (from memory, because apparently the last two years of blogging isn't keeping enough information) that the irises were still blooming right up til the end of June. And this year, not even halfway through June and they're gone.

It's crazy.

Something else while I have weirdness on the brain....

I've recently been picking Anti-V's brain for cooking clues. She's really quite a genius in the kitchen. And she's introduced me to some new ingredients and flavours - but many of them are not-from-here! To make the lemon and sesame seed fish, I had to buy a lemon from South Africa in the grocery store, and the leeks for the venison stew are from Mexico right now! I can get local venison, just not one of the veggies to go with it.

Believe me, I look at these things now that I'm getting more into the local food movement. It's really quite frustrating, these contradictions.

And the point of wanting to expand my cooking abilities in the first place was to be better able to cook local foods!

But back to pretty.....take a deep breath now...



Bridal wreath spirea. :)

Oh by the by - Nina, I'm with you on the violets. Another one of those evil pernicious weeds. I can't believe that nurseries sell those too!

Karen

2 comments:

vandy said...

Perhaps for a lemony tang you could use a lemon scented herb, like lemon balm, or lemon basil, or even....wait for it....some of that wood sorrel you keep plucking out of my garden and making rude noises about!
v

cyndy said...

Everything from your garden is looking great! The lupins are a magnificent color! ...watch out for that comfrey...