Monday, December 5, 2005

Current Weather Here is...

The current weather in south-western Ontario is.... colder then Iceland. Alda says it's only 3°C in Iceland. It's currently -7°C here, with a windchill factor making it feel like -16°C.

Doesn't it just kill you? Iceland. The name says it all.

Anyway... the current political weather here is no better. The dofuses-that-be have decided that Canada should undergo yet another federal election. There's nothing quite so heartwarming as politicians wasting our tax dollars on elaborate popularity contests, twice in one year.

I've been a strong supporter of the New Democratic Party for years, but I fear this time I'd rather decline my ballot then vote for any of them.

Interestingly enough, I was on hold on the phone with Elections Canada, attempting to find the section of election legislation that deals with declining one's ballot in order to link that bit in the paragraph above, when a coworker dropped in and said "vote Liberal".

When I asked why, the answer was "so the Conservatives don't get in".

*sigh* While I do sympathize, because I don't want the Conservatives to win either, I want to vote positively. For the party that best reflects my views.

That used to be the NDP, but it might now be the Green Party - I'll have to make myself more familiar with them.

Although I do have to admit that it might be nice, just once in awhile, to vote for a party that might actually have a hope of governing someday. While the NDP has managed to win elections and govern at the provincial level, it's yet to have success with federal politics.

I could go on - I did my degree in Political Science after all - but why bore you? Everyone's got an opinion.

On the bright side, my coworker and I just put up the Christmas tree in the lobby. So, it's official now....

"It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas...."

Come on and sing along.... you know you want to. :)

Karen

1 comment:

Diana said...

"...every where you goooooo."

It was 6 below this morning as I was standing at the gas station putting some in the tank. Those electronic pumps don't work so well at these temperatures, I must say.

I hear you on the political thing.